Subject: Re: update pkgsrc package
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/20/2001 10:16:57
Quoting David Brownlee (16-May-01 18:35:29):

>   Ensure you do not have any previous built packages around in the
>   pkgsrc source tree,

How can this be guaranteed?
With "make clean"?

> then run 'make ; make update' in the appropriate
>   directories for each package.

Ok.

Can "make update" also be said in /usr/pkgsrc in order to update all
packages?

>   'make update' rebuilds all the dependencies, this has a number of
>   issues:

>       a) It can take a very long time...

>       b) While its updating a package any package which depends on
>          that package will have been removed from the system. Be
>          very wary about updating a library on which your window
>          manager or similar depends.

Hmmm ... how can this be done properly?

By making an update from the console (minimum of taks running [X11 nor
running])?

Is it perhaps better to do it in single user mode?

>       c) If the update breaks, it can leave you without the
>          aforementioned packages.

>       d) If you pick a suboptimal order you can end up rebuilding
>          much of your system several times. Pick the package on
>          which most other packages depend first.

>       e) Sometimes there is no optimal order - eg, half your system
>          depends on pkg 'a' and pkg 'b', but they do not depend on
>          each other. So you end up rebuilding everything twice. Of
>          course if they both depend on pkg 'c' which is up to date
>          you can run 'make update' on pkg 'c' which would be quicker..

>   So.. I'd update libtool-base, then glib, then run lintpkgsrc -i
>   again :)

> --
>       David/absolute      -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --

TIA