Subject: two questions: upgrading meta packages, pkg database
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Rainer J.H. Brandt <rjhb@bb-c.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/19/2001 23:06:05
Hi,

I've got two questions regarding the NetBSD packaging system:

1.  I want to update the gnome package.  Although I installed it via
    'pkg_add gnome', the commands 'pkg_delete gnome' and 'pkg_info gnome' tell
    me that the system doesn't know anything about such a package.  I understand
    that the gnome package is a wrapper for a number of packages which now have
    to be updated.  However, lots of these packages are being required by lots
    of other packages, and I'm afraid that - especially because of dependencies
    regarding libraries - other software will break if I just replace them.
    Even if I just tried that, I believe it will be a lot of work.

    What is the preferred upgrade method for "packages" like gnome ?

2.  I would like to audit my system with respect to the files maintained by the
    package system, just like I do it on my Solaris machines.  Under that
    operating system, the software database tells me about the file ownerships
    and permissions, and it has an opinion about whether a file's contents
    should be expected to change.

    Am I correct if I believe that the NetBSD package system does not maintain
    that information?  Do plans exist to improve the system so that it will
    maintain that data in the future?

3.  Which document should I have read in order to save you from being bothered
    by my questions?

Greetings, and thanks for your time,
Rainer

--