Subject: Re: slow gnome dependancy check
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/16/2001 17:08:50
On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 08:19:32PM +0100, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to use the x11/gnome packages with make package and was
> wondering if anyone else had found gnome really really slow to do the
> ===> Validating dependencies for gnome-1.4.0.1
>
> part (currently it's spent 9 hours and no change, and top and sysstat show
> it's doing something.)
>
> This is on a 1.5.1_BETA2 CATS arm32 box, using an NFS mount for the pkgsrc
> dir.  (It also seems to take forever on my i386 box as well (no idea how
> long, I needed to do something else with that box))
>
> pkgsrc is synced to the tagged 1.5.1 version.
>
> Is this just due to the sheer number of recursions needed?  (looking at my ps
> list it's wrapped the pid counter, and is checking gnome-chess, and all it's
> dependancies (which checks gnome-core, which has already been checked *sigh*))
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

I've tried it on my -current box here, and it does take some time, but
it does complete.

To check that it's actually do somethine, use "make
PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL=2", and it should tell you what it's doing.

Yes, I know dependencies are not done the best way - we are
investigating ways of doing this better right now.

Regards,
Alistair