Subject: packaging a ripper front end, questions
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Tracy Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/15/2001 23:10:43
I've been playing with ripit.pl for a while, and have been looking at
packaging it up.  It's got a few too many options, it allows you to
use cdparanoia, cdd, tosha, cdda2wav to rip CDs, I'm going to depend
on cdparanoia.  It uses bladeenc, lame or gogo to encode from ripped
files to mp3s, I'm going to depend on lame.  I don't know if this
should be i386 only, I guess I'll assume if none of the depends are
i386 only, this shouldn't be, which means I'll need to set the default
ripping device to /dev/rcd0d on i386 and /dev/rcd0c on other platforms?

It uses xmcd's cda to get information from cddb/freedb, and I don't see
that we have something simpler to get this information, so it will also
depend on that.  If there are simpler ways to get information from
cddb/freedb (and get the CD id), I'd like to know.

The question I'm not sure how to choose is where it will put mp3's and
where it rips them to.  It rips the CD, then encodes it in one
directory, based off of another directory.  I'm not sure what to use,
/usr/pkg/share/mp3 doesn't seem right, as mp3s are not text files.
What kind of default should it have?

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu