Subject: Re: pkgsrc rc.d scripts
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/15/2001 18:47:24
On Tue, 15 May 2001, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > I don't see why installing two files is a problem.
>
> 	Having two scripts can allow them to get out of sync, and give
> 	different behaviour between netbsd versions. I'd prefer to see
> 	something similar to Greg's posting where the necessary
> 	functions are embedded in the rc script.

Yes, it is nice. I'm hesitating to declare that the "standard", only
because I'd like to write more rc.d scripts, but I can't test them on
1.3.2, as Greg did. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.

> 	Maybe even have a pkgsrc/mk/rc.subr which can be appended to
> 	rc scripts on install?

To each script? Someone voiced an idea to package up rcorder, rc.subr,
rc.d and friends. I think it's a neat idea, but it doesn't solve the
problem completely, because I'm sure some people will insist on doing
things the old way. If we leave the old script untouched, however,
they'll have nothing to complain about.

Frederick