Subject: Re: OpenSSH 2.9p1
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/11/2001 03:48:47
>> This wasn't in the pkgsrc snapshot from yesterday - any chance of someone
>> importing it?
>
>It's a bit difficult to know why we should import it if you don't
>mention what the benefits are.
>
>Can you provide a summary of the changes of 2.9p1 over the version
>that's in pkgsrc at the moment (openssh-2.5.2p2), please?
>
>Then we'll have an idea of whether or not we should upgrade.

	here it is.  as far as i understand, there's no real serious item
	that require upgrade.  i guess we can upgrade after the pkg freeze.

itojun

Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 23:35:01 +0200
From: Markus Friedl <markus>
To: openssh-unix-announce@mindrot.org, openssh-unix-dev@mindrot.org
Cc: lwn@lwn.net, announce@openbsd.org, misc@openbsd.org, dengue@deadly.org
Subject: OpenSSH 2.9

OpenSSH 2.9 has just been uploaded. It will be available from the
mirrors listed at http://www.openssh.com/ shortly.

OpenSSH is a 100% complete SSH protocol version 1.3, 1.5 and 2.0
implementation and includes sftp client and server support.

This release contains many portability bug-fixes (listed in the
ChangeLog) as well as several new features (listed below).

We would like to thank the OpenSSH community for their continued
support and encouragement.

Important Changes:
==================

WARNING: SSH protocol v2 is now the default protocol version

	use the 'Protocol' option from ssh(1) and sshd(8) if
	you want to change this.

SSH protocol v2 implementation adds support for:

        HostbasedAuthentication, similar to RhostsRSA in SSH protocol
        v1

        Rekeying (negotiate new encryption keys for the current SSH
        session, try ~R in interactive SSH sessions)

        updated DH group exchange:
        	draft-ietf-secsh-dh-group-exchange-01.txt

        client option HostKeyAlgorithms

        server options ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax

        tty mode passing

general:

        gid swapping in sshd (fixes access to /home/group/user based
        directory structures)

        Dan Kaminsky <dankamin@cisco.com> contributed an experimental
        SOCKS4 proxy to the ssh client (yes, client not the server).
        Use 'ssh -D 1080 server' if you want to try this out.

	server option PrintLastLog

	improvements for scp > 2GB

	improved ListenAddress option.
	You can now use ListenAddress host:port

	improved interoperability (bug detection for older implementations)

	improved documentation

OpenSSH is brought to you by Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt,
Kevin Steves, Damien Miller and Ben Lindstrom.