Subject: Re: kdebase2 for a.out?
To: Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf.steinbach@jena-optronik.de>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/07/2001 15:20:23
Ingolf Steinbach wrote:

> Hi.
>
> % cd pkgsrc/x11/kdebase2
> % cvs annotate Makefile | grep BROKEN
> Annotations for Makefile
> ***************
> 1.4          (zuntum   14-Mar-01): BROKEN=              "This package doesn't build on a.out. This is being worked on."

You should blame me for this line.

> Has there been any progress in a.out support? What are the
> problems? (I ask instead of trying this myself because I
> do now want compile kde2 on my Amiga just to find out shortly
> later that a.out support is already finished by someone else.)

OK. The problem is as follows: some KDE2 packages link libtool modules
of the form foo.la into binaries which doesn't work on our libtool for
a.out. The reason is because libtool has need_lib_prefix=no which is
inline with the original intent for the variable.

There are two possible fixes:

	1) Change need_lib_prefix to equal yes. I don't like this option as it
	   is counter intuitive in that modules created as foo.la will generate
	   shared objects of the form libfoo.so. Also, this will will cause
	   problems with PLIST differences between ELF/a.out and will probably
	   break GNOME.

	2) Change all the occurrences in KDE2 of binaries linking against
	   modules of the form foo.la.

I have discussed this problem with Michael Matz of the KDE project and I
had hoped I'd convinced him that option 2 was the right way to resolve
this. I'm not sure now what the status is.

Last time I played with doing this though there were some problems with
KDE as some of the generated modules are looked for using the original
foo.la name. A simple way to fix this might be to create a symlink
between the old and new .la files.

In any event I think we should do this (option 2) in the KDE pkgs.

Nick
--
aka skrll@netbsd.org, skrll@excite.co.uk