Subject: Lisp
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/07/2001 01:58:49
----- Forwarded message from Poopmastah <poop@crapmonkey.org> -----

Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 19:37:37 +0200
From: Poopmastah <poop@crapmonkey.org>
To: crackmonkey@crackmonkey.org
Subject: Re: [CrackMonkey] LISP is good for you.

>> Lisp.  CMUCL is the best free compiler, currently.
> How does gcl compare?

It's marked as broken[1] in the FreeBSD ports tree, so I haven't bothered to
test it yet.  From what is said on the webpage it looks nice, though.  I
think the objections against GCL is mainly that it isn't entirely compliant
with the current Common Lisp-spec.  (CMUCL isn't really either, but deviates
so little that it doesn't cause any problems for anyone.)

An advantage to GCL over CMUCL is that GCL seems to be more portable.  CMUCL
is difficult to port, so there is no OpenBSD-port, for instance.  (I'm happy,
though, it works on both Linux and FreeBSD.)

CMUCL also compiles to native code, by the way.  If you want it to.  You may
tell it to compile to bytecode as well.  Or use it as an interpreter.

1. "===>  gcl-2.3 is marked as broken: GCL isn't compatible with the new
   signals.."

--
poopmastah

----- End forwarded message -----