Subject: Re: inetd[165]: /usr/pkg/sbin/nmbd: exit signal 0xb
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/20/2001 15:50:21
On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, John Maier wrote:

> I have tried reinstalling n times on 3 different 1.5 boxes I get:
> inetd[165]: /usr/pkg/sbin/nmbd: exit signal 0xb
> Apr 20 17:07:22 mfa-ftp last message repeated 38 times
> Apr 20 17:07:22 mfa-ftp inetd[165]: netbios-ns/udp server failing (looping),
> service terminated
>
> Any ideas?

Maybe try running nmbd as a standalone daemon (-D) instead.

Is signal 0xb the same as Signal 11 -- which is often considered a
hardware or memory problem?

"server failing (looping)" means that inetd is receiving too many requests
for it within one minute. (Read about wait's max suffix in the inetd.conf
manual page.)

Also, I believe this is the wrong mailing list. tech-pkg is for discussing
development of the pkg system. You may want to consider continuing this at
netbsd-help.

For your info, I succesfully can use nmbd (for samba) under NetbSd 1.5.1
under i386 (samba-2.0.3).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/