Subject: RE: pkg_install refuses to compile
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/16/2001 14:22:13
I wonder if the package system shouldn't do a sanity check for the basic
collections during it's build phase - a check for tmac.andor, maybe some
other file in the text.tar.gz, misc.tar.gz, comp.tar.gz, etc. collections...
This would be especially effective during the build of pkg_install.  If you
can't build that, the rest of the system doesn't go.  It's an assumed
dependency now, we can extend the dependency tree to several executables if
we wanted too.

While this would seem to be an unusual case, it might not be as odd as one
would expect.  I could foresee plenty of places where people would install
the top two or three when they do the basic install of the system.  In fact,
now that I think about it, I know of at least two people using NetBSD for
firewalls that are using just the kern.tgz and base.tgz collections.
Checking for the 'complete' compiler set would solve this problem, and not
really cost us a lot.

Of course, the ludicrous extension of this would be an automatic upgrade
path for the basic system (installed as packages?).  Say you want to install
something that requires 1.5, and you're still on 1.4.3: the package system
could do the upgrade for you (if you wanted?).

Of course, that's starting to get back to that "How about a nice game of
chess" thing....