Subject: Re: Mozilla on m68k?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/06/2001 20:03:06
On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 12:49:23AM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 23:37 Uhr +0200 4.4.2001, Martin Husemann wrote:
> >> is the mozilla 0.8/0.8.1 pkg known to work on m68k?
> >
> >According to Taya (the pkg maintainer) it is tested on mac86k. It has been
> >updated for m68k very recently, be sure to get the latest version of the pkg.
>
> Would 02 Apr be recent enough?
>
> >Are you running -current, some kind of 1.5 or anything older?
>
> Vanilla 1.5 with a 1.5.1ALPHA kernel.
>
> >Note that a.out toolchains needed patches that came in very late in the 1.5
> >release cycle, it won't build/work with older toolchains.
>
> Well, it builds; both the 0.8 and the 0.8.1 pkg fail very late in the
> _installation_ process.

Of course.  That's the first time the executables are actually fired up.

Just because something `builds', that doesn't mean it's correct, or that
the linker or other compiler bits are correct.

There's a very serious bug in the way m68k/a.out works that caused me to
punt on this and wait for the m68k platforms to move to ELF.