Subject: RE: BMP format problem
To: Sanesh Bodasing <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/02/2001 15:38:01
I spent several frustrating days with cups, and I think I've got a good
handle on it.

The first step is to make sure your mime-type conversion files are correct.
Check them and make sure that the type references (filename extensions and
magic number information) match what your BMP is actually looking like.

In my system, for example, the defined BMP filter type in mime-types says
that the file needs to end with a '.bmp' extension or has to start with the
letter "BM".  If your graphics don't match one of these, makes it really
hard for cups to figure out how to print your file.

If they do, the imagetoraster program needs to be able to do the bmp to
raster conversion.  This would mean that you need to be sure that the BMP
renderer is actually where you think it's installed.

Since the imagetoraster program is working on jpg but not on bmp, I'd
venture to guess that the bmp conversion program is breaking (the error
message kind of alludes to that as well).