Subject: Re: version of unzip required in BUILD_DEPENDS?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/02/2001 09:58:33
On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 12:46:09PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> I went to install a package today that has a zipped distfile, and
> discovered my faithful old unzip 5.41 is no longer up to the task.
> bsd.pkg.mk now says that I need 5.42:
>
> 	thoreau:/NetBSD/pkgsrc/mk 14930> grep unzip bsd.pkg.mk | head -1
> 	BUILD_DEPENDS+=         unzip-5.42:../../archivers/unzip
>
> Looking at the changes between the two versions, there doesn't appear
> to be much of a reason to say we need the latter version, but 5.40
> definitely looked bad.  Anyone mind if I change that to unzip>=5.41
> (which seems to work ok as a local change here)?
>
> Granted, it's not much of an effort to update to a new unzip, but this
> is more of a (little) gripe about needless updating of (dependancies on)
> packages...
>
> Anyways, I feel better after that outburst :-)

You're correct that any version of unzip should work, so we should relax
the pattern to be

	BUILD_DEPENDS+=		unzip-*:../../archivers/unzip

(if only to emphasise the recent changes to BUILD_DEPENDS which were made).

Personally, I believe it's a small price to pay to ensure that a libtool
upgrade doesn't force you to recompile any package built with libtool.

But I'm a tad biased.

There may well be other packages like this - if you do find any, please
send-pr them in the usual way.

Thanks,
Alistair