Subject: Re: Kerberos in pkgsrc
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2001 11:13:02
"Johnny C. Lam" <lamj@stat.cmu.edu> writes:

> Is the following sufficient to test for the presence of Kerberos V?
> Will it work for either MIT krb5 and Heimdal krb5?

The header files can live in other places too. I don't think they ever
did in NetBSD, but it might be important for other systems. The
presence of krb5-config is a better test, but that's pretty recent.

> Some packages depend on kth-krb4 for Kerberos IV but rely on
> Kerberos V to be in the base system if ${KERBEROS} is defined, but
> as I understand it, NetBSD didn't get krb5 in the base system until
> 1.5 so these packages won't work properly on pre-1.5 NetBSD systems.

It got integrated sometime between 1.4 and 1.5, so these packages
won't work if KERBEROS is defined. I guess one way would be to make a
package of Heimdal and depend on that when there's no other krb5
around. It will help for other systems too.

> Also, didn't NetBSD have a Kerberos IV implementation in 1.4.x?

It had some old version of kth-krb4.

> Do we need something like USE_SSL that automatically installs
> OpenSSL on systems that need it for Kerberos IV?

Why do you need OpenSSL for Kerberos 4? The older systems didn't have
it, but linked with some other libdes.

/Johan