Subject: Kerberos in pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/29/2001 22:06:40
Is the following sufficient to test for the presence of Kerberos V?
Will it work for either MIT krb5 and Heimdal krb5?

KRB5_PREFIX?=	/usr
.if exist(${KRB5_PREFIX}/include/krb5/krb5.h)
# stuff depending on krb5
.else
# otherwise
.endif

I'm trying to understand the difficulties in pkgsrc related to
Kerberos.  Some packages depend on kth-krb4 for Kerberos IV but rely
on Kerberos V to be in the base system if ${KERBEROS} is defined, but
as I understand it, NetBSD didn't get krb5 in the base system until
1.5, so these packages won't work properly on pre-1.5 NetBSD systems.
Also, didn't NetBSD have a Kerberos IV implementation in 1.4.x?  Do we
need something like USE_SSL that automatically installs OpenSSL on
systems that need it for Kerberos IV?

	Thanks,

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/