Subject: Re: New PostgreSQL
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/27/2001 22:28:31
Thus spake Hubert Feyrer
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > Heck, considering that it checks for Python first, perhaps we just have
> > to include it every time and have it build automatically if Python already
> > exists.  Would that be acceptable?
> >
> > How about thinkgs like Perl?  The same thing may apply.
>
> Maybe we could import them both into base?
>
> (Serious: I don't know postgres, but if someone does not want python
> and/or perl, we should not force them to install it; that's why we have
> seperate modules now)

I understand and I tend to agree with posts suggesting not to join them.
However I hope everyone understands exactly what I was proposing.  If
you simply add the "--with-python" flag to PostgreSQL it doesn't force
you to install Python.  It does check and build PyGreSQL if it sees
that Python is installed is all.  We don't need to make one a dependency
of the other.  The assumption is that if one has Python and installs
PostgreSQL then they probably want the Python interface to PostgreSQL.

However, I have self-centeredly not considered another possibility.  If
someone has Python and PostgreSQL they may, in fact, not want PyGreSQL
anyway but rather one of the other Python interfaces.

So - never mind.