Subject: GCC-3.0 was: FYI: time to build KDE2
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/26/2001 18:33:42
Chris Gilbert wrote

> > It took me from lunch to after midnight to convert from kde1 to kde2
> > Welcome to the new generation of unix bloatware :)
>
> I believe part of the slowness is from the fact that egcs isn't the fastest
> of compilers with C++.  I'm not sure if gcc 2.95.2 is any faster though, I'd
> expect gcc 3 to be as there has been commits (or they had them as news on the
> gcc web page) to help speedup c++ compiling (and also to reduce it's memory
> overhead)

This is great news indeed.

BTW: Is anyone working on a package for the gcc-3.0-branch? Matthias?
I need gcc-3.0 to port new software that specifically designed around
this version...

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes