Subject: Re: i18n package for kde2?
To: Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf@jellonet.de>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/19/2001 08:28:33
Ingolf Steinbach wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what would be a good scheme to create internationalization
> packages for KDE2? Three possibilities come to my mind:
>
> 1) One pkg which installs *all* i18n packages. This is IMO
>    not suitable as one usually will want to use one or
>    maybe two additional languages.
>
> 2) One pkg for each language. This would lead to many new
>    directories in pkgsrc. Not suitable.
>
> 3) Some mechanism to use only one pkgsrc directory for the
>    i18n stuff which can generate different packages by using
>    an environment or mk.conf variable, e.g.
>    Directory: pkgsrc/misc/kdei18n
>    Can generate kdei18n-de-2.0, kdei18n-fr-2.0 etc.
>
> At the moment, I'd like 3), but I on't know if this is
> possible by using pkgsrc/mk/* at the moment (without too
> much tricks). Maybe there are much better solutions?

I have a kde-i18n package that does 1). The reason I haven't committed
it is that it really depends on kdevelop 1.4 which is too big to look at
ATM. I agree somehting along the lines of 2) or 3) would be best.

The is prior art in textproc/ted* that seems to follow 2) other than
that I have no real opinion.

Nick
--
aka skrll@netbsd.org, skrll@excite.co.uk