Subject: Re: Continuing pkgtools version problems...
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/09/2001 00:59:41
On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> We may be confused about what a package is. It seems wrong to me that
> what is NOT a package (NO_PACKAGE=...) exists as a package
> (pkgsrc/foo/bar). How about providing 'pkg_install' simply as a binary
> tar ball. IIRC, FreeBSD does like so.

FWIW, I find having to type pkg_add ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/blah..... a
PITA, especially if I'm working at a text terminal where cut&paste is
non-trivial.

While I'm on the subject, I always wondered why pkgsrc couldn't just do
the upgrade itself and then continue, since it basically gives a
human-readable script anyway. It just seems odd to tell the user how to do
something rather than just doing it.

Same for the libtool updates.

(OK, I've been bitten by having to update libtool a few times recently,
only forgetting to do make clean... not bitter at all :o)

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget