Subject: Re: mozilla and java
To: None <magick@bundy.lip.owl.de>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/17/2001 10:47:12
   Is it at all possible to use java with mozilla? There's a plugin available
   but i suppose that this needs a native java implementation?
   I use mozilla under i386.

   --
   Mario Kemper
   magick@bundy.zhadum.de

In the abstract sense, yes it is possible.  However, there are a couple of
practical issues that may make it non-functional.  Assuming that the
Mozilla you are using is a native binary, as opposed to a foreign
[i.e. Linux or the like] binary, then you will need: 1) A native plug-in
that implements the OJI [Open Java Interface] glue.  2) A native compile
of the java 1.3.0_01 JRE [or whatever Sun called it...  it is the latest
JRE "plugin" that was released after standard Jave 1.3 was released, and
was bundled with Netscape 6, for example].

I have done this with a Solaris 2.7 machine and it does work, including
both the Javascript to Java bridge [Liveconnect] and the JSObject [Java to
Javascript].  I took a native Solaris binary of Mozilla from mozilla.org
and downloaded the JRE from Sun.

Unfortunally, at the very least, I don't think that there is a native
NetBSD compile of the JRE that will be required, as you *must* use the
1.3.0_01 version of the JRE, anything else will not function.  I am also
not sure that the OJI glue exists in a native form, either, although that
might be a part of the standard Mozilla build at this point, so that may
just boil down to compile options.

Of course, if you are using a foreign binary, then you must obtain the
equivalent OJI glue and JRE for the foreign binary, in question.  In
theory, they both exist for Linux/i386, although I have never tried
getting the Linux version to work.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://mellon.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]