Subject: Re: Suggestion: devel/gettext in current
To: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/12/2001 07:22:10
>Since gettext is included in the current distribution, I wonder if
>we need to distinguish if a package depends on "devel/gettext"?

	we need devel/gettext for some packages, for gettext.m4 and other
	suppliment files.  since we don't have autoconf/automake in base system
	we do not ship them with the base system.

>Something like in bsd.pkg.mk may be of use:
>
>.if defined(USA_CURRENT_GETTEXT)
>BUILD_DEPENDS+=                msgfmt:../../devel/gettext
>.endif
>
>and remove all such "BUILD_DEPENDS+= .../devel/gettext" lines in
>Makefiles.
>
>This can at least save some build time.

	could you tell me what's the difference between them?  just to tidy up?
	if we add USE_CURRENT_GETTEXT=yes in the makefiles, the effect is the
	same.  (we end up having exactly the same addition to BUILD_DEPENDS).

>It can also avoid the
>build errors when you have an old a.out gettext package on the
>way.  (This problem caused me a lot of time. :( )

	I don't understand this part at all.

itojun