Subject: Re: questions about creating a new package
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@eik.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/10/2001 08:29:36
On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 05:57:48AM +0000, Jason Beegan wrote:

> For the diffs, do something like, eg
>
> 	       cp Makefile Makefile.orig
> 	       emacs Makefile		  (edit the makefile into submission)
> 	       pkgdiff Makefile.orig Makefile > patch-aa
"pkgdiff Makefile" is enough. When pkgdiff finds $1.orig, it automatically diffs
against it.
> the right format (unified diff, diff -u).
>
> > next time I do an CVS update I'll have a few conflicts. How can I work
> > around this? How can I do it correctly the first time?
>
> You shouldn't have any conflicts while updating your other files by
> CVS, since your file aren't imported into the CVS repository.  When
> you update, you'll just see question marks beside your own files as CVS
> ignores them
>
> 		cvs -z3 update -P -d		(recommended command to use)
I prefer working in /usr/pkgsrc/zuntum/pkgname, so I don't loose local changes
when for example I update existing package, which is newer in my tree.
> > What is the correct way to do this? (How can I make a diff file that
> > contains these new directories and files so I can just include it in my
> > send-pr?)
>
> > It appears that pkgdiff is for only one file at a time. Is this true?
>
> Yes. AFAIK there is a tool for creating several patches at once, but I
> know no more about it.
Yes, mkpatches (all related tools are placed under pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkgdiff):
zuntum@cappi:/usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkgdiff> cd files/
CVS/          mkpatches.1   mkpatches.pl* patchdiff.1   patchdiff.pl* pkgdiff*      pkgdiff.1     pkgvi*        pkgvi.1

When you use pkgdiff/mkpatches and url2pkg, you don't have to worry about CVS.
The tools will handle it for you.

Tomasz Luchowski

--
/* [zuntum] zuntum@eik.pl , [WWW] http://zuntum.eik.pl */