Subject: Re: xpkgwedge (and others?) in bulk builds
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/08/2001 14:01:00
On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 08:23:00AM -0500, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > > Depending on the age of the machine (and/or if it's non NetBSD), you may
> > > wish cvs and ssh to be handled in this way too.
>
> what Hubert said...
>
> > Um, I've been doing bulk builds that nuked both cvs and ssh for a long
> > time. One should just make sure to reinstall ssh form /etc/rc.local or
> > similar, when rebooting. This is all documented in Packages.txt.

Yes, I know this is what you do at the moment.  But I don't want to
install ssh or cvs separately - I want them to be installed from the
pkgsrc framework.  I don't want to think:  am I on a bulk build box?
Do I have to install this in a non-standard place?  Are my keys going
to get nuked?  before I do anything.  I just want it to work.  Which
is why I'd like there to be a list of packages which shouldn't be
knobbled, and why I think ssh and cvs (if appropriate i.e.  in pkgsrc)
should be on that list.  I don't want the list to be huge, because you
then run the risk of missing a pre-requisite package.

> this is why so far only xpkgwedge comes to mind since it has a big effect
> on the pkgs being built.

No, I can't think of any other package that influences the way that
pkgsrc itself behaves, either.

Regards,
Alistair