Subject: Re: how to find perl with BUILD_DEPENDS
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/02/2001 07:21:52
>Unless /usr/bin/perl is perl4, and perl5 is required.

	I understand this part,

>If we use the
>pkgsrc version of perl, we eliminate a possible source of errors.
>When I upgraded the pkgsrc perl to 5.6.0 a few months ago, I pointed
>all of the existing packages to ${PERL5} for this reason.  I'd welcome
>other opinions on the right thing to do here.

	I got very confused about this part.
	${PERL5} is set to /usr/pkg/bin/perl, not /usr/pkg/bin/perl5 or some
	other pathname which is distinguishable as perl5.
	/usr/pkg/bin/perl has been perl4, right?  in that case,
	having BUILD_DEPENDS+=${PERL5} won't help us upgrade from
	perl4 to perl5.  what is the goal here?
	(think about it, when perl6 comes, how you would check about it?)

	i haven't check if jisx0208fonts requires perl5 or not.

itojun