Subject: Re: how to find perl with BUILD_DEPENDS
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/01/2001 17:41:24
itojun@iijlab.net writes:

> >If we use the
> >pkgsrc version of perl, we eliminate a possible source of errors.
> >When I upgraded the pkgsrc perl to 5.6.0 a few months ago, I pointed
> >all of the existing packages to ${PERL5} for this reason.  I'd welcome
> >other opinions on the right thing to do here.
>
> 	I got very confused about this part.
> 	${PERL5} is set to /usr/pkg/bin/perl, not /usr/pkg/bin/perl5 or some
> 	other pathname which is distinguishable as perl5.
> 	/usr/pkg/bin/perl has been perl4, right?  in that case,
> 	having BUILD_DEPENDS+=${PERL5} won't help us upgrade from
> 	perl4 to perl5.  what is the goal here?

Hmm...this I didn't know.  I thought we always had perl5 in our
pkgsrc.  For the right thing to do for when we get perl6, I think this
is properly part of some larger problem where you can't name specific
versions of a tool with BUILD_DEPENDS as you can with DEPENDS.  There
are references to this problem in bsd.pkg.mk when packages want to add
a build dependency on either libtool or xpkgwedge, but we end up with
a hack where we wrap a .if make(install-run-depends) check around a
DEPENDS line.  I suppose we could do something similar for perl, but
it's ugly.

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/