Subject: Re: Bad definition of USE_LIBTOOL in bsd.pkg.mk
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/29/2001 06:46:56
> > We have to avoid using ".if make()" in bsd.pkg.mk.  There are outstanding
> > complaints as to the ultra-recursion nature of bsd.pkg.mk.  We need to

make README.html is an extreme offender in the recursion dept.  I've been
thinking about how to fix this, but just haven't had time to do it right.
Thats by far the worst operation becasue we end up depending some packages
a zillion (ok, maybe only 500) times (think libtool, gmake, perl).  It
seems to me that something which caches results along the way simply has
to be a big win.

-Dan