Subject: Re: pkg dependencies bite
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/21/2001 12:02:19
It's because of similar problems (also with the GIMP, on i386) that I gave
up on binary packages a long time ago.  (You mentioned pkg_add as your
first line of
attack on getting the GIMP installed on the i386.  I assume that you are
leaning on binary packages wherever you can get away with it, then...)

I always build from pkgsrc, now.  ``make update'' much more often does all
of the right magic.  (^&  It also builds against your installed versions
of stuff, and with any pkgsrc preferences (such as default
paper-size) that
you've set.

Yes, it still is sometimes a pain if you update pkgsrc and build
something.  (Sooner or later, you stumble upon a lynchpin library that
causes massive rebuilding.)  My solution to that is to not update pkgsrc
unless I'm prepared to risk effectively wiping out /usr/pkg.

(ramble)

So, you have my sympathy.  (^&  But if you stick to pkgsrc and avoid
updating pkgsrc when you don't _have_ to, you may be much happier.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu