Subject: RE: Documentation for OSVERSION_SPECIFIC?
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2001 13:25:47
On 17-Jan-01 Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> I've been trying to find documentation on the variable
> OSVERSION_SPECIFIC set in certain packages.  Where is it?  There's no
> mention of it in Packages.txt nor in packages(7).  What values does it
> take, or does it simply need to be defined?

Thats my bad..  first chance I get I'll update the docs on it.

Right now it's not used by any mechanics.. it is placed there as a visual key
(ie, you could pick it up with grep) when making binary packages.

Ie, if you are building packages for 1.5.1, you should put all those packages
in the 1.5 directories on the ftp server.  However, should you build any of the
OSVERSION_SPECIFIC packages, you should put them in a "1.5.1" directory,
because they are not backwards compatible.  (ex: LKM's)

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
NetBSD supported hardware database: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi