Subject: man and info pages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Blair M. Stilwell <stilwebm@yahoo.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/12/2001 12:20:47
I noticed, as I installed NetBSD 1.5 on my Sun 4c with a tiny 240MB
/usr partition, that I was able to free up a good bit of space to
squeeze in more apps by gzipping many of the man and info pages.  I
like the approach of NetBSD, which enables me to install a full blown
OS on a computer with only a 405MB hard disk.  Would it make sense to
package the man and info files already gzipped in future releases?  The
overhead of reading a gzipped man page, even on my 40MHz SPARC is
hardly noticable.  Unless some architectures don't currently support
reading gzipped man and info pages, I feel it is worth considering.

-Blair