Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/07/2001 19:03:06
This is really getting out of hand.  What's wrong with having an
rc.local run once all the filesystems are mounted and everything else
is said and done?

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Gavan Fantom wrote:

# Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 00:42:51 +0000 (GMT)
# From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
# To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
# Cc: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>, Al B. Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>,
#      tech-pkg@netbsd.org
#
# On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
#
# > > 1) breaking out rcorder to run in two stages, stage 1, pre-usr, stage 2
# > > post-usr.
# >
# > Sounds messy. At the very least, you'd need to break /etc/rc.d in two
# > -- one directory to run solo, which ends with "mountall", and the
# > second to be run together with /usr/{X11R6,pkg}/etc/rc.d. Then you
# > have to deal with the fact that someone may have set X11PREFIX to
# > /usr/X11R6-DRI, or LOCALBASE to /usr/local. Better if we can avoid all this.
#
# I don't see why... surely the rcorder script could be improved to take a
# few more options:
#
#      -r      Add the specified keyword to the ``require list''. If any -r
#              option is given, only those files necessary to provide the
#              matching keyword are listed.
#
#      -p      Treat the specified keyword as already provided. Dependencies
#              on this keyword will not be considered.
#
# (It's late, and I can't think whether that's enough to make rcorder -p
# mountall ... ignore everything that happens before mountall, but that's
# my intention)
#
#
# Then you can do something along the lines of:
#
#
# files=`rcorder -s nostart -r mountall /etc/rc.d/*`
#
# for i in $files; do
#         run_rc_script $i start
# done
#
# morefiles=`rcorder -s nostart -p mountall /etc/rc.d/* /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*`
#
# for i in $morefiles; do
#         run_rc_script $i start
# done
#
#
#
# Actually... not even sure -p is necessary... by the time we have /usr
# mounted, we could just as well do:
#
#
# morefiles=`rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/* /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*`
#
# for i in $morefiles; do
#         if echo $files | grep -v -q $i
#         then
#                 run_rc_script $i start
#         fi
# done
#
#