Subject: Re: Can't build kdelibs
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2001 08:44:13
Thanks to everyone for the help so far. It turns out that I really
did poison my system by using the precompiled binaries for some
things, so I have to trash the system and start over. This time, I'm
not going to set LOCALBASE, and will use /usr/local for really local
things.

I still would like the package gods to consider my suggestion from last night:

>Another thought: can pkg_add be changed to not allow a user who has
>a different LOCALBASE to add by URI, or at least force them to do so
>with an additional command line option like "-d" for danger?

I don't think that documentation changes telling about the possible
problems with resetting LOCALBASE is enough. Given that pkg_add can
help prevent the problem, it would be nice if it contained the
warning.