Subject: Re: Can't build kdelibs
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2001 19:57:54
At 3:41 AM +0100 1/5/01, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>  There is nothing in there that says "If you do this once, you must do
>>  it forever." I propose the addition of a sentence to the text above
>>  that says something to that effect.
>
>I guess the assumption there is that one knows what he does when he sets
>LOCALBASE, as that defaults to /usr/pkg properly. ;-)

Hrmph. You are saying below that I *might* have screwed my whole
package setup based on an unspoken assumption. This sounds like a
bad, but fixable, problem. Tell the user more than you do now.

>  > I'm mostly doing the latter (/usr/local) and used "pkg_add URL" once.
>>  Is there any way I can back out of that problem, or am I completely
>>  screwed forever on this system?
>
>Hum... i guess pkg_delete jpeg won't work easily...
>Move the +REQUIRED_BY file in /var/db/pkg/jpeg-6b aside, reinstall jpeg in
>/usr/local, then move that file back. And pray that no -Wl,-R/-rpath
>settings did encode /usr/pkg into your current binaries/libs.

I did that, and it seems to work OK, that is, kdelibs is now in the
middle of building, which is further than it got before.

I'm still considering junking the system and starting over without
using any binaries, if this introduces more problems. That would be
painful but doable since it is not yet a production system.