Subject: Re: pkgsrc reorg proposal II
To: Todd Vierling , Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <alistaircrooks@excite.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2001 07:42:45
On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:30:03 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Todd Vierling
wrote:

>  On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Alan Barrett wrote:
>
>  : > > One question.  Doesn't the use of "install", "deinstall" as
lowercase
>  : > > filenames conflict with the "install" targets in the makefile?
>  : >
>  : > It probably does - good point!
>  : > Any preferences for other names - pkg-FOO, pkg-foo, FOO, ...?
>  :
>  : pkg-foo, to match what FreeBSD does.
>
>  There's no such conflict if you .PHONY these targets in bsd.pkg.mk.
>
>  --
>  -- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
>  -- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/

I see no reason to match what FreeBSD does, since pkgsrc and their ports
architecture have long since diverged that a separate package is needed to
convert between the two (and most of us advocate building a NetBSD package
from scratch anyway, due to other incompatibilities like man page handling
etc).

Personally, I don't like adding .PHONY targets to bsd.pkg.mk, and would
prefer to attack the problem at its roots, rather than working around it
with make(1) settings. I'd prefer to keep the names that we have now, but
retain the upper case, just have the files in the same directory. i.e.
pkgsrc/databases/gdbm/INSTALL etc). This would help an old grump like me who
can't remember new-fangled names, ensure that we don't make a false match of
a script name or makefile target, and provide a bit of continuity with what
went before.

In addition, none of the cvs logs will be lost - it's not the log itself
that takes time, and it's incredibly useful. Not to mention the fact that
cvsweb would be kinda stuck with 2 archives to work from.

Regards,
Al

--
Alistair Crooks (agc@pkgsrc.org)