Subject: Re: pkgsrc reorg proposal II
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Witold J. Wnuk <witek@pd37.warszawa.sdi.tpnet.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/03/2001 13:45:18
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Witold Wnuk wrote:
> > What do you think? Does it make sense?
>
> IMHO, no. Too much effort to keep "developer" and enduser version apart,
> and the endusers will sooner or later switch back to the developer version
> anyways, for a number of reasons. If our endusers want a single file per
> pkg, that's what we have binary packages for.
However this scheme suits _my_ needs very well. I'm interested in having
access to sources, I'm interested in having possibility to update Makefile to
use newer version of program quickly, I run -current. Otherwise I would
probably use binary packages. On the other hand I'm not creating/hacking
packages (although I have submited package once or twice) so I don't need full
sources ready 24*7. I believe many NetBSD users fall in this category.

> This proposal is intended to reduce the number of inodes by a simple way,
;-) I've considered your proposal very complex, especially if you choose b)
procedure (keeping revision history would be very nice indeed).

> what you propose is complex enough to bear enough errors that it needs
> more time than we (I) have right now, and I think we should do that in
> another step, IF need arises.
>
> For now, one step at a time.
Ok, I will look further if I can present working proposal for your
consideration (hopefully someday soon).

Greetings,

	Witold J. Wnuk