Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/02/2001 23:24:19
On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Al Snell wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > No, because ${PREFIX}/etc may be shared across several machines, and
> > you want these to be set per-machine. IMHO there shouldn't be any config file
> > in ${PREFIX}/etc.
>
> I think the default should be configuration in ${PREFIX}, but the wily
> sysadmin who wants per-machine differences can put conditionals in his
> centrally-maintained config files (a nice way of handling it anyway) or
> make the shraed config file source /etc/<whatever>...

Um, no he can't. Not without extensive changes to /etc/rc.
"/etc/rc.conf" and friends must be sourced before "rcorder" orders and
invokes the rc scripts. This is done BEFORE THE FILE-SYSTEMS ARE
MOUNTED, BEFORE THE NETWORK IS UP, in fact, while ROOT IS STILL
MOUNTED READ-ONLY. (Excuse my shouting.) If you want to share config
files between machines, you'll have to do it with "rsync" or "rdist".

--

Frederick