Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2000 20:56:06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Greywolf wrote:

> So do that yourself, but <mantra>DON'T FORCE EVERYONE ELSE TO DO IT</mantra>.
> I like knowing AT A GLANCE, withOUT having to go through the pkg database
> what's part of the base system.  If it ain't part of the base, it
> doesn't belong in /, /usr.  End Of Story.

That's a bit of an emotional statement... I'd say that the best reason for
keeping stuff seperated out is for centralised administation. A cluster of
workstations might NFS-mount a shared /usr/pkg partition to allow
installed packages to be managed centrally. NFS sharing the root
filesystem has implications that people might want to avoid! Keeping
everything out of the root partition makes it possible to have shared
stuff, while still allowing a machine which has lost network to be able to
boot and fix the networking...

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell