Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2000 15:11:02
Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com> writes:

> That way lies Linux, and it's one of the things I *hate* about it.
> By inferring the above, why separate out X11 stuff?

Eliminating the file-system level distinction between "base" and
"third-party" data is a good that some Linux distributions have
done. The fact that Linux did it doesn't make it bad. I'm sorry you're
so opposed to it.

> Packages go in /usr/pkg or /usr/local (my preference).
> X stuff goes in /usr/X11R6 or, more simply, /usr/X11.

X11R6 has its own tree for "legacy" reasons, nothing else. I'd be
perfectly happy to see everything under /usr/X11 folded back into just
plain /usr.

> Everything that happens to NetBSD to make it less BSD-like is a nail in
> its coffin.  What's going to be the differentiating factor once all these
> gratuitous changes are put in place?

The code is the difference. I like to think that we have
higher-quality code, both for the kernel and userlevel. What we have
on the filesystem and how we arrange it are two separate issues, and I
hope that our dedication to high-quality programming doesn't
senselessly tie us to an archaic filesystem layout.

        - Nathan