Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Dominik Rothert <dr@astorit.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2000 13:14:51
<dr@astorit.com> (Dominik Rothert) writes:

> Hm, I don't think that is a good idea. We should distinguish between
> packages and system. If we start to mess up /etc with files based on
> packages... No, sorry.

The notion of distinguishing files belonging to "packages" from files
belonging to the "system" has been going out of style for some time,
in modern operating system administration. In part, the very notion of
"system" is fragmenting, and becoming simply the set of packages that
the OS vendor supplies.

Progress consists of blurring the distinction, not enhancing it. Why
treat packages like second-class citzens?

        - Nathan