Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2000 10:51:10
On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Al Snell wrote:

> Would it be possible to make /etc/rc read:
>
> files=`rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/* /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*`
>
> instead of:
>
> files=`rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/*`

I can live with that. Nothing starts by default. It has still has to
be enabled in /etc/rc.conf.

Another question that came up before, is should we mangle
/etc/rc.conf? E.g.:

  if !( grep -q ^somethingd /etc/rc.conf ); then \
    echo somethingd=NO >>/etc/rc.conf; \
  fi

in an INSTALL script? I seem to recall that we've established,
already, that starting every installed package at boot by default is
not desirable. Having such a line makes it easy for the user to enable
the daemons that he want to, and it keeps rcorder from whining. An
alternative would be an /etc/rc.pkg.conf which gets sourced just like
/etc/rc.conf.

Frederick