Subject: Re: pkg checksum [was: Re: pkgsrc reorg II [was: Re: port2pkg and
To: Dominik Rothert <dr@astorit.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2000 22:39:39
On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Dominik Rothert wrote:
> > This has nothing to do with a pkgsrc reorg (see Subject:),
>
> It is a major improvement, exactly as the pkgsrc reorg is.

They still have nothing in commin.

> I expected this to be discussed on tech-pkg. AFAIK only
> pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk needs to be modified in order to invoke
> sha1 (which can be implemented easily - I volunteer for this job ;-)
> instead of /{sbin,bin,usr/bin}/md5.

No, that's by far not enough. Have a look at the pkg_* source.

Ask yourself
 * how "pkg_admin check" can do it's job
 * how pkg_delete can determine if a file was modified
 * where in bsd.pkg.mk the MD5 checksums are generated
 * in what form you want to use SHA1 on systems that don't come
   with openssl in-tree.
 * How to retain backward compatibility with existing binary packages

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>