Subject: Re: how to handle 2 CD's of binary pkgs.
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/22/2000 16:53:22
On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 09:40:24PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> Um... not really. You need to look at pkg versions (which can be
> wildcards), not distfile names. Distfiles are only good for turning them
> into binary packages. Rearranging binary pkgs into some proper order for
> what Dan wants is something different.

Doh. I missed the 'binary' part and assumed they would be built from
source.

> For this you need to know which pkgs require a given pkg, a mapping that
> is only stored in the other way in DEPENDS lines. I guess a solution would
> involve some sort of "make run-depends-list" for all pkgs, then see whatn
> you can do from there.
>
> I found pkgtools/pkgdep an interresting tool to get an idea on these sort
> of dependencies...

I see what I was missing now. Does pkgdep -v work for you? It doesn't
change the output at all for me...

Well, if the depends could be turned into a DAG picking off enough lower
generations to achieve a fairly even split should do a reasonably good
job of minimizing disk swaps, but it sounds like amd doesn't prompt for
media anyway - no one has said that it can.

I'll shut up now ;-)

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me