Subject: HEADS UP: mozilla broken for IPv4-only kernels
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/21/2000 18:56:50
I know (a) this is broken software and (b) this is the wrong list for the
heads up, but before posting something I'm gonna be shot for on current-users,
I'd like to alarm you ;-)

So, what happened: Hubert found the magic incarnation to add to some config
file in the pre-configure target to make pkgsrc/www/mozilla build with IPv6
support included.

He did this the right way: conditionalized on USE_INET6.

Note that this is on by default on 1.5 and -current.

As I learned today, mozilla is broken. If compiled with IPv6 support, it is
no longer able to create any TCP connection on an IPv4-only kernel. This is
totaly bogus, but if you ever looked at the source, you know why I write this
message instead of fixing it right away.

Fixing it is not impossible and of course the prefered way to deal with this.

What should happen before it is fixed? At least the users should know they have
to explicitly set USE_INET6=NO if running on a non-IPv6 kernel. Someone please
step forward and fix it ;-)

Martin