Subject: Re: how to handle 2 CD's of binary pkgs.
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/20/2000 20:12:24
On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 05:29:18PM -0500, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, David Maxwell wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 08:14:41PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> > > 	Hmm - is there anyway to do some magic with afs and a symlink
> > > 	tree?
> >
> > I was thinking almost the same thing, but with amd. Can amd ask for a CD
> > somehow?
>
> I'm not sure.  I already use amd to automount CD's, but I dont know if
> there's a way to teach it to treat 2 CD's as one.

I don't think you need to - you just need to be able to request
different media to present themselves in a single device. The actual
'selection' of CD required is via a symlink tree.

/usr/pkgsrc/distfiles/abc-1.2.3.tgz -> /pkgmntcd1/abc-1.2.3.tgz
/usr/pkgsrc/distfiles/def-4.5.6.tgz -> /pkgmntcd2/def-4.5.6.tgz

And /pkgmntcd[12] are amd'd.

If you do this, you'd probably also want to change the default targets
to make fetch-list up front so you grab everything from CD1 to HD, then
swap CDs once only.

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me