Subject: Re: My Small Contribution
To: Riccardo Veraldi <Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/13/2000 20:00:05
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Riccardo Veraldi wrote:
> I amrelatively new to NetBSD, I have used FreeBSD for long time then
> I Tryed NetBSD because of it was the only system which could run on my
> VAXstation, and I have been very satisfied of it.
> I plan to port my application called sniff which I did for FreeBSD and
> which is in the FreeBSD ports.
> I plan to port it on NetBSD. First I will port it on NetBSD/vax and I
> expect it will work out also on i386 without problems.
> Then I was thinking why not start a ports/italian section ???
> I Could try to start this work if this can be usefull, what do u think ?
>
> Are you interested ?

In sniff, yes. (for whatever it does... ;-)

In an "italian" category, no. While I can understand that we need special
software to handle non-latin charsets, getting language specific is the
wrong way to go - localizing applications is the keyword, and that's what
linintl, gettet and friends are for.

Last, please note that what's called "port" on FreeBSD is called a
"package" on NetBSD, and the discussion list for the latter is
tech-pkg@netbsd.org. tech-ports is discussion regarding for porting the
NetBSD operating system itself to new architectures.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>