Subject: Re: libtool -release [was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc]
To: Nick Hudson <nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/09/2000 20:09:58
On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Nick Hudson wrote:

: > > This isn't the correct thing to do... -version-info should always be
: > > used and then release will not cause problems.
: >
: > Isn't this more or less what the text says?
:
: To me it says remove the -release options which I don't think is the
: correct thing to do. I think libtool should be made to handle -release
: flags correctly for NetBSD. See my other message on this subject.

If a package wants -release, it should get it.  We should *NOT* be
overriding -release with -version-info like we are doing in several packages
-- those should all be reverted.

The most ideal way for any package binaries to turn out is "as close as
possible" to an out-of-the-box compile, unless there's a very significant
reason not to do so.  Adding -version-info to make something "work on a.out"
is wrong; libtool should be fixed.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/