Subject: Re: utilizing SMP machines
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Al B. Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/27/2000 21:39:27
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Sorry for not explaining the assorted guts of the build system -
> MAKE_PROGRAM is what gets called by bsd.pkg.mk to build one single
> package.

That's what I thought you meant, fear not :-)

> It is *not* intended to build more than one package at a time, as
> there's probably little win in that (at least compared to the can of worms
> you open to get things locked etc.). The changes I suggested affect both
> only the "inner" part of the package compile.

Hmmm... locking can be done with... with... dang! It's not in the base
system!

I remember there being a neat little command for doing locking in
scripts. It was called "lock" or "lockfile" or something, and had flags to
lock and unlock, and accepted an inode to lock on as a parameter.

It also had a third option, which created the lockfile, and put in it the
maximum number of locks that could be had on it at once, semaphore style.

The .BEGIN and .END targets would be the plcae for this to be run, but if
we don't have it, then that is a more interesting problem.

> Recommended reading: bsd.pkg.mk.

Thrilling, if somewhat thick reading :-)

I find /usr/share/misc/usb_hid_usages more fascinating:

        0xC1    Weapons Arm
        0xC2    Weapons Select

ABS

--