Subject: Re: utilizing SMP machines
To: Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/27/2000 22:27:55
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Al Snell wrote:
> Purely for convenience and to avoid opening cans of worms, it might be
> acceptable to provide locking with pkgsrc to prevent two convcurrent
> package makings happening at once (eg, any make in a pkg creates a
> lockfile that any otehr attempted makes block on), then making
> dependencies in paarallel.
>
> Eg, each package can compile however it sees fit, using internal
> parallelism only if the distfile makefile specifies it.
>
> I often compile lots of packages at once, but currently have to manually
> make sure there are no intersecting dependencies, because running two
> makes on the same source tree at once causes a mess :-)

Sorry for not explaining the assorted guts of the build system -
MAKE_PROGRAM is what gets called by bsd.pkg.mk to build one single
package. It is *not* intended to build more than one package at a time, as
there's probably little win in that (at least compared to the can of worms
you open to get things locked etc.). The changes I suggested affect both
only the "inner" part of the package compile.

Recommended reading: bsd.pkg.mk.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>