Subject: Re: 1.5/i386 pkg set revisited
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/21/2000 16:45:29
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:
>
> > Gnome from the binary pkg is broken because it's not
> > compiled to work with the newer freetype-lib-1.3.1
> > which is needed by gv and instead it needs freetype-lib-1.2
> > which if installed makes gv fail.
>
> This is because binary packages improperly contain recursive
> dependencies on all their component packages (set at package build
> time). "gnome" itself doesn't depend in any way on freetype-lib, only
> "gv" does, and the "gv" package is the place to specify that
> dependency. Duplicating it in "gnome" obviously causes problems.

Thanks Frederick,
This is fantastic news. Do you mean that if I unpack the gnome
binary package and take the freetype-lib dependency out of the
makefile, that it will then install no problem??? Will this work?

> If you wish to compile gnome from source, your best bet is to roll
> back pkgsrc to before the gettext changes. With anoncvs, you could
> update to the tag, e.g.:
>
> "cd /usr/pkgsrc; cvs update -P -d -rnetbsd-1-5-RELEASE"
>
> Otherwise, the pkgsrc tarball under .../NetBSD-1.5/source or
> .../NetBSD-1.4.3/source should do as well.
>
> Frederick

Also I couldn't find the directory " .../NetBSD-1.5/source" on any
server. Could you say again the full path of where I could get this old
pkgsrc file please? I hope to get it installed using the binary package
as said above anyway but just in case I still have to install from
source.

OK,
thanks alot,
Paul.