Subject: net/ppp package borken
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/13/2000 15:14:53
I've just been trying to help a user who'd gotten himself thoroughly
confused with the "net/ppp" package.

He's using NetBSD-1.4.2.  As far as I can tell, possibly because it
doesn't update the kernel parts of PPP, the 2.3.11 that's in pkgsrc
doesn't actually work on NetBSD-1.4.

Also, the package as it stands will DOWNGRADE a NetBSD-1.5 system from
pppd-2.4.0 to pppd-2.3.11.  I have significant concern about the rate at
which people are duplicating programs from basesrc into pkgsrc, and this
kind of version skew is the principal reason why.  I would very much
appreciate it if before importing into pkgsrc a program that's also
in the main NetBSD repository, people would discuss this kind of issue
in the appropriate places -- which doesn't just mean "among the people
who usually work on pkgsrc" because they're not the only ones impacted.

As it stands, naive users will probably break both their 1.4.3 and 1.5
installations by installing this package, for example; while the code
that's in basesrc actually *works*, and they probably don't want to
install this at all.  There are a number of other packages which
present this issue and I think both developers who work principally
in pkgsrc and developers who work principally elsewhere in the
repository need to be much more careful about it.

	the effort to perceive simply the cruel radiance of what is