Subject: Re: Some problems with gettext after libintl is now in the basesystem
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/02/2000 18:45:23
On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> On Thu Nov  2 11:26:27 2000, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> > 	please update src/lib/libintl (if you have gettext_dummy.c, you should
> > 	be okay).  as described in separate email, gettext.m4 checks
> > 	undocumented symbol to check if we have GNU gettext library or not.
> > 	as we are 100% compatible with GNU gettext, i supplied the symbol
> > 	just to make gettext.m4 happy.
>
> That doesn't help for xtraceroute.

> There is no -lintl in the link line. So it can't find _nl_msg_cat_cntr.

It may help to set `LIBS=-lintl' in configure's environment. This
problem occurs with gettext's libintl, too.

I seem to recall that we fix the test for "gettext" in various ways in
different packages (and some authors have adopted these patches
already). It would be really neat if someone could modify gettext.m4
to make -use-gettext=yes search /usr/lib:$(prefix)/lib, and
-use-gettext=<path> to search the path; then we would at least be
doing it consistently for ourselves -- packages could either patch
"configure.in" and run "autoconf", or the package maintainer could do
that once and tease out the relevant patch -- and maybe, the autoconf
people will eventually adopt it, solving our problem.

Frederick